What is Water Easement?

Source:Rigdon, M. D., & Joseph, A. (2019, August 13). What is a Water Easement? Retrieved from https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-water-easement.htm

Summary: This article discussed water easement. Easement is the right to buy land and use the land for anything related to utilities. In most states one is unable to access an easement program without a permit, rightfully so. Easement programs have many guidelines. Without providing legal proof of what the land is being used for you are not even able to apply for one. If your land is in a hazardous area for any reason, the state officials have the right to seize your land and any of the utilities being used. Overall, easement programs are usually only available to major companies or rich landowners and often lead to personal gain.

Reaction/Connection: This article was super helpful with introducing me to my topic. I learned about a similar topic, easement, which explains the ability to use land freely. It is important to note that only the wealthy are able to access these grants and often get away with expanding without providing a notice. Easements are not specifically for water, but they can allow for business growth as well as an exploit of resources.

3 thoughts on “What is Water Easement?

1. Super interesting concept Miles. In that film festival I saw the other day one of the films was about the Delta… and Southern CA buying up chunks of land, which include water rights. The idea being that they are going to then pipe that water to S. CA. Crazy, right? You have got a hugely important topic- and a messy one at least in CA. Do you think these easements need to change? Or could they change? Seems like lots of special interests are involved.

• I agree. Easements seem to be subjective for california especially. No matter what, there will always be a higher power over any specific water source, therefore trumping the easement. There needs to be a specific change related to who “owns” the water. When there are set “owners”, the water can then be distributed more evenly.

2. Its good to hear Germany is taking a step towards being more environmentally friendly however I feel like this connected to what we talked about in class as countries that don’t have oil are more likely to be more environmentally friendly. Germany for instance unlike the US doesn’t have oil deposits they could use. This truly reflects on what sacrifices the government and those in power will make for their own economic gain.