New Report: California Has Five Times More Clean Energy Jobs than Fossil Fuel Jobs

Rogers, Paul. “New Report: California Has Five Times More Clean Energy Jobs than Fossil Fuel Jobs.” The Mercury News, The Mercury News, 21 Aug. 2019, www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/20/new-report-california-has-five-times-more-clean-energy-jobs-than-fossil-fuel-jobs/.

California’s renewable energy and climate laws have now increased the number of clean energy jobs, outnumbering fossil fuel jobs five to one.  The number of jobs in the fossil fuel industry did not include gas station employees. These clean energy jobs include building electric cars, windmills, and solar panels. 1 in 7 clean energy jobs in the United States are in California, and the only state with more clean vehicle jobs is Michigan. All these numbers are expected to change because of the new rules stating that all homes built starting in 2020 will be required to be powered by solar panels or a solar farm.

I’m glad that our state is working hard for the environment. It makes me happy that so much effort is being put in by California, but it makes me upset that we make up almost 15% of the clean energy jobs in the entire country. That shows that other states aren’t putting in as much effort, and California alone isn’t able to save the environment. It also slightly upsets me that we haven’t taken action much sooner, but late is better than never. This article is on the more positive side in comparison to other current articles regarding the petroleum and oil industry.

5 thoughts on “New Report: California Has Five Times More Clean Energy Jobs than Fossil Fuel Jobs

1. This is the first positive article that I have come across so that’s good! I am happy that California is increasing its amount of renewable energy use. However, this is just a step in the right direction. I think that the goal is to get the entire United States to convert to using only renewable energy. I think maybe if the government intervened and enacted laws this could work. What do you think?

2. It’s interesting to see that the clean energy industry is actually bringing jobs rather than taking them away, which is the argument of many opposed to the switch. At least California, being one of the biggest states, is leading the charge because then we have that much more influence. This article is very positive in comparison to the other ones I’ve read and it is a nice change. Do you think these new jobs will be able to completely replace the old ones?

3. I thought this was very interesting to read. I’m also very happy that California is putting in the effort. I also agree with you that California can’t be the only one to save the environment. Society and possibly the government should be more interacted with this issue and try to help our environment out.

4. I am very glad to hear that there are so many clean jobs compared to fossil fuel related jobs. However, I agree that California cannot save the world on its own. We need to get more countries and states to begin promoting clean sustainable energy. How could we promote that kind of change?

5. I agree that is is amazing that California is increasing its amount of renewable energy use. even though more must be done, we must unite the United States to convert to using only renewable energy.