Life on the Amazon Oil Frontier: From Exploration to Ecotourism

Mongabay. (2019, August 2) Life on the Amazon oil frontier: From exploration to ecotourism. Retrieved August 25, 2019, from https://news.mongabay.com/2019/08/life-on-the-amazon-oil-frontier-from-exploration-to-ecotourism/

In Ecuador’s Amazon Rainforest, oil and tourism are the two big economic powers. Many of the local population, end up having to choose between the two titans. When Petroamazonas signed the deal to extract oil, they made many promises that would never be kept. Their presence eventually devastated the local economy. This led many from within the community to turn to ecotourism. Ecotourism has allowed the locals to have a stable income, help regrow the local economy, and protect their environment.  

This article demonstrates the wondrous impact that ecotourism can have on not only the environment but the people too. It can be very easy to lose the human aspect in the whole equation, but these people’s stories serve as a reminder. Their lives were devastated by empty promises, and ecotourism has allowed them to get their lives back. This article, I feel embodies the spirit of Environmentalism, people working to protect the environment, while also finding a way to sustainably take advantage of the resources it provides. 

6 thoughts on “Life on the Amazon Oil Frontier: From Exploration to Ecotourism

1. I enjoyed your adopted topic, and find the subject matter to be really intriguing. I think what is going on in the Amazon is a really big deal, and cannot go unnoticed. Were there any people within the community that opposed signing the deal? Have the Petroamazonas taken any action to try and get those promises fulfilled?

2. I agree that it is important to pay attention to individual stories and not just the big picture. Ecotourism seems like an amazing way to both help people make money and protect the environment. It is interesting to see how a deal to extract oil did not just hurt the environment, but also people. Are there any drawbacks to ecotourism?

3. I agree with Aymeric that ecotourism has its benefits on the people of Ecuador and the environment, after the devastation in the economy. What are some products of the ecotourism in Ecuador? Are these people happier working to improve the environment, or more saddened by the devastation of the economy?

4. I agree that ecotourism can a major impact on The environment. I also agree that this article embodies what environmentalism is really about and how we must protect the environment but also finding a way to efficiently take advantage of our natural resources. Was so interesting reading your article !

5. I love how these people’s stories serve as a reminder that the human should always be valued. I also find it amazing that ecotourism helped them turn their lives around and essentially get back on their feet.