California Might Miss it’s Climate Goals

James Temple (2019, November 01). California is on track to miss its climate targets- by a century. Retrieved November 6, 2019, from https://www.technologyreview.com/s/614663/california-is-on-track-to-miss-its-climate-targets-by-a-century/ 

If California citizens do not make a change, and soon, California will miss its climate targets by a longshot. California tries to be a global model for climate issues, with many of its residents using solar panels and electric cars. However, California residents have a hard time making a real impact because they do not reduce their emissions nearly enough. California has a goal of cutting carbon emissions by 2030 by 40% below what they were in 1990. But based on research, California is not predicted to hit this goal until 2061. Californians need to make drastic changes in order to attempt to hit these goals.

Reading this article really enlightened me to the effects and impacts that California has, especially as a climate model for the rest of the world. It’s so disheartening that we will miss our climate targets by over 30 years and makes me worried for the rest of the world that isn’t even trying to reduce their emissions at all. I think that as the article said, changes must be made in order to try to reach these goals. I think these changes need to include lifestyle changes of California’s citizens, but also bigger regulations by lawmakers. It has been proven that often times, people need to be nudged by the law in order to do the right thing.