Air pollution affects thyroid development in fetuses: Particle pollution is the culprit, raising concern about health impacts later in life

University of Southern California. (2019, September 17). Air pollution affects thyroid development in fetuses: Particle pollution is the culprit, raising concern about health impacts later in life. ScienceDaily. Retrieved November 11, 2019 from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/18091710107.htm

A new study based in Southern California has found a link between pollution and altered thyroid development in fetuses. The study touched on how pollution can affect fetuses, their conclusion being that before “a doctor cuts the umbilical cord… air pollution [has] already reached the womb’s inner sanctum”. The study says that the airborne particulate matter are especially dangerous to the fetus, especially during the early stages of pregnancy. The thyroid gland is very important for lots of bodily processes such as growth and cognitive abilities. Researchers say that  “tweaking [the thyroid] in utero may have lifelong consequences.” that should be studied further. The study explained that small changes in thyroid development in utero have been linked to “reduced fetal growth and cognitive deficits in children”. The findings are important because they show that air pollution permeates deep into the body, affecting a fetus which is protected by the womb. 

This article was pretty upsetting to read, as it paints a grim future for the children of the world. They are getting exposed to pollutants before they are even born and it is affecting their health negatively. It’s surprising to me how deep the pollution can permeate into your body, that it can adversely affect a baby protected by a womb. This article really makes me wonder if it is sustainable to have children while these environmental problems surge. It would be undoubtedly  safer for the earth if more people weren’t born, but then again I don’t know if having children is something people are willing to give up to have a healthy planet. I think the realistic way to respond to findings such as these is to do more research and advocate for less pollution and environmental standards for pollution.

One thought on “Air pollution affects thyroid development in fetuses: Particle pollution is the culprit, raising concern about health impacts later in life

1. I agree that the best way to respond to this data is to conduct more research and work to stop pollution. I think the fact that unborn kids are being affected by pollution is a testament to the fact that we are not focussed enough on protecting our planet. This also shows a link between our planet’s health and human health. Do you think that the findings mentioned in this article will affect people’s opinions on environmental issues?