Top Global Offshore Wind Energy Countries

Richard, C. (2019, November 11). US and China to ‘challenge UK’s top offshore spot’. Retrieved from https://www.windpowermonthly.com/article/1665035/us-china-challenge-uks-top-offshore-spot.

The leading country in offshore wind power is the UK, but analysts say that the US and Asia, especially China, are catching up. Although China is building from a small base compared to the UK, they have the most potential, and could become the biggest country in offshore wind power by the early 2020’s. Offshore wind energy is becoming an important role in today’s world of renewable energy, and many countries are starting to catch on. Although offshore wind energy is becoming very important, onshore wind energy still accounts for 64% of wind farms in development. The development of onshore wind turbines is ahead of offshore turbines and is expected to keep the pace as both keep developing. 

The development of offshore wind turbines is lagging behind onshore ones now, but I think in the future, offshore wind turbines will become a bigger deal. Onshore turbines aren’t as important because they take up valuable land, but offshore ones don’t take up space that we could be using for something better. Offshore turbines also produce more energy than onshore turbines. In the future, offshore turbines will become much more valuable and efficient, and more money will be spent on them rather than onshore turbines. I think the UK will remain the leading country in offshore wind energy because they have an island, and have the ocean all around them where they can build offshore turbines. The US will be one of the leading countries also because we have two coasts with a good amount of area to build offshore turbines. China doesn’t have as much coastline, so I don’t think they will become a leading country in offshore wind energy. All of these countries are advanced technology, so it comes down to the area that we have to work with and experiment.

One thought on “Top Global Offshore Wind Energy Countries

1. I agree that offshore wind turbines have an advantage since they do not take up valuable land. Do you think there are any downsides to offshore wind energy? I would assume they are more expensive to build and maintain. I also wonder if they have a negative impact on marine animals.