Endangered Species

Business Wire. (March 2, 2020) “Herbal Essences Announces Commitment to Help Mitigate Biodiversity Loss” Retrieved March 2, 2020

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200302005123/en/

The company Herbal Essence recently announced their partnership with the Royal Botanic Gardens in attempt to save 20 critically endangered species. Without the help of Herbal Essence, these plant species are predicted to become extinct within the next year. The hair product brand plans on working with various other organizations in California to try and preserve the plants’ seeds as well as working on preventing further habitat destruction in the places the plants are native to. The company is also participating in an hour long panel discussion along with the World Wildlife Fund to debate various solutions in mitigating plant extinction. The company hopes that through their project they can raise awareness about species extinction and inspire action among their customers to combat climate change. 

This article really highlighted the importance of plant life which oftentimes is ignored in discussions about species extinction. Plant biodiversity is an extremely important issue as it is what sustains all other living organisms and without such biodiversity problems within larger-scale ecosystems can occur. On a different note, it was also really great to see a big company such as Herbal Essence take a stand against climate change past just practicing environmentally safe production methods. I would not expect such a large company, more specifically a shampoo company, to prioritize their environmental impact to this extent however it is good to see a company using natural ingredients also working to preserve nature itself. 

6 thoughts on “Endangered Species

1. If I was more in the shampoo market, I would totally be supporting Herbal Essence. It is refreshing to see big companies taking a stand on env. issues. They may be doing it for public relations, but who cares- at least they’re doing it. As long as they are upfront about what they are actually doing so it doesn’t become a greenwashing thing. How do you think other companies could be encouraged to get involved with env. issues?

• I think that if other companies were to see the publicity that companies like Herbal Essence are getting for having environmentally-friendly initiatives they may feel inspired to do the same.

2. You consistently delivered on this topic Molly. Hope it kept you intrigued- thanks for your contributions to the whole class!

3. I found it very interesting that a shampoo company would come to great lengths to protect species threatened with extinction. Maybe they’re delivering on the “herbal” part of their namesake. Anyways, I agree that this is a great step for the environment, and hopefully, other companies will follow in their path.