Deal emerges to bring 1st offshore wind farms to California

Iaconangelo, D. (2020, February 20). RENEWABLE ENERGY: Deal emerges to bring 1st offshore wind farms to Calif. Retrieved from https://www.eenews.net/stories/1062398125

The first offshore wind energy farm in California is currently being constructed. After coming to an agreement with the military, these wind turbines will be these first floating turbines will be the country’s first use of them at a large scale. California is hoping that many other states and countries will follow them in building offshore wind energy to create another source of clean energy. The one issue that California is having is the military, and right now, California isn’t allowed to build any offshore wind turbines without the military’s agreement. They have agreed with this one farm, but none others so far. 

I think this is a very important step for the US and I believe many other states and countries will follow California’s example. I’m not sure why the military is so strict about offshore wind turbines because I’d think that the military wouldn’t need everything along the coast. But, I do think that they will understand and allow us to build more offshore wind turbines in the future. This could be the next main energy source because it is very efficient. Although it has a high cost to build, the maintenance doesn’t cost too much and it is out of the way. The wind patterns on the ocean are fairly predictable and fairly consistent, so this could provide us with an efficient energy source.

One thought on “Deal emerges to bring 1st offshore wind farms to California

1. I agree that this is definitely a big thing in terms of renewable energy. I think the only reason that the military would be hesitant about allowing that is because of naval vessels like submarines that the wind turbines would interfere with. I also feel that this sort of development would have some sort of heavy impact on marine wildlife. Just another factor to keep in mind.