Mining the Sun?: Groveland Mine Could Be Solar Energy Site

Bloom, Betsy. “Mining the Sun?: Groveland Mine Could Be Solar Energy Site.” Mining the Sun?: Groveland Mine Could Be Solar Energy Site | News, Sports, Jobs – The Daily News, The Daily News, 8 Mar. 2020, www.ironmountaindailynews.com/news/local-news/2020/03/mining-the-sun-groveland-mine-could-be-solar-energy-site/.

Officials in Michigan are planning to convert a brownfield site to a solar farm capable of producing hundreds of megawatts. The former mining area has been deemed a suitable location for a large solar farm after multiple failed attempts to farm timber. The land was previously used as amine, with a large number of ‘iron tailings,’ leftover minerals from the iron mining process. These made the land inhospitable for trees and thus, attempts at timber farming failed. A concern about the project that was quickly nullified by officials was the farm’s effect on surrounding recreation. Officials stated that it would have next to no effect on recreation including snowmobile trails and the four surrounding manmade lakes and ponds that dot the landscape. Finally, it’s estimated that the farm will help homeowners with more affordable electricity in a region of Michigan with electricity costs 67% higher than the state average.

I think this farm is going to be another win for clean energy. Unlike many other solar farms, this one doesn’t appear to encroach on any space, nor will it upset any residents. I think this area, which would otherwise go unused, is a perfect place for solar panels to be installed. I also think that it will be extremely beneficial to residents because it’ll reduce costs for their electricity. It’s yet another step forward for a state that doesn’t have much momentum going behind solar energy.

One thought on “Mining the Sun?: Groveland Mine Could Be Solar Energy Site

1. This is a great step toward helping the climate crisis, and I think this is a great way of using inhospitable land. I hope we will be able to find other similar situations like this in other places across the US. This clearly relates to environmental science because it’s green energy and we need to quickly find new advancements like this to ease up oil dependency. Does anyone have any concerns or reluctancy in going though with this plan?