Why California May Go Nuclear

Shellenberger, Michael. “Why California May Go Nuclear.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 4 Nov. 2019, www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/09/03/why-california-may-go-nuclear/#26819b93ae02.

In the article by Forbes Magazine, we learn that  a California state legislator introduced an amendment to the state’s constitution that would classify nuclear energy as “renewable.” The article also talks about how now in 2019,we must make the decision to save the planet or to save the dying nuclear industry. In the United States nuclear energy is used in almost all daily activities. This may result in the continued operation of the state’s last nuclear plant, Diablo Canyon, well past 2025, its current closure date.

This article relates to environmental science because it shows how nuclear power is still currently developing and becoming more efficient in particular in California. It describes how Diablo generates 9% of California’s electricity and 20% of its clean, carbon-free electricity. This article also shows how essential nuclear power really is. I believe that nuclear energy Is so important in keeping the United States energy efficient and I believe we must find the most efficient way to create power. I also believe that if the number and efficiency of each nuclear power plant increases, then as a result we can decrease carbon pollution in the United States and make our planet a healthier place. 

2 thoughts on “Why California May Go Nuclear

1. I’m with you 100% Max. We need to push for more nuclear in CA, and the rest of the US. If we shut down Diablo it will be a major step back for clean energy. You are going to really find our speakers interesting on Monday!

Thanks for pursuing and delivering on this important topic all year long Max. Hope you found it intriguing.