Reopened Schools Find Health Risks in Water After Covid-19 Lockdowns

Horberry, M. (2020, August 27). Reopened Schools Find Health Risks in Water After Covid-19 Lockdowns. Retrieved September 11, 2020, from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/health/covid-schools-legionnaires-disease.html?searchResultPosition=4

As a result of reopening Schools in Ohio in Pennsylvania mass eutrophication has been occurring in schools irrigations due to a long time of no use. Allowing bacteria to build up in pipes without being constantly flushed out from children and other faculties use. This causes the disease legionella to spawn oven effect and be a risk of infection. The hazard behind this sickness is great as it can be fatal. another urgency to this matter is that schools generally don’t have a water management plan. Leaving these types of situations prone to not ever being adhered to. Additionally most combat against coven is by turning water off in schools, leaving all taps are used for long periods. The successful combat to the situation would be to put small doses of chlorine routinely in the water system, and keeping it all taps running.

Eutrophication is in an effect of contaminated rainwater reaching water sources, and other streams. Which then will cause the new bacteria to spawn mass amounts of algae. creating a no longer usable source, or area with healthy vegetation. Making it what we know as a dead zone. This is is similar to the situation of What is happening and recently reopened schools, as bacteria is clotting within pipes making the disease of legionella at a much higher risk of being caught. The legionella is acting as the algae, and the contaminated water is the source. Environmental scientists are constantly working towards more health effective substitutes to fertilizers today, showing that this is a commonly researched subject. That has Extreme roots to environmental science.

2 thoughts on “Reopened Schools Find Health Risks in Water After Covid-19 Lockdowns

1. This article surprised me because it’s something I never considered. I think this issue is detrimental right now, however, I don’t think it’s something that should spark a lot of concern because the cause of the pipes not being flushed out is due to a pandemic which is something that does not occur often. So, although this issue is one that’s concerning right now, and should be dealt with; I don’t think we should spend a lot of time figuring out how to prevent this from occurring in the future. Do you agree?

2. This article was really interesting, I had no clue the absence of students could cause such a thing. This could be solved along with the virus if students didn’t have in-person classes.