EPA Moves To Reduce Runoff That Feeds Toxic Algae In Charles River

Wbur. (August 14, 2020). EPA Moves To Reduce Runoff That Feeds Toxic Algae In Charles River. Retrieved August 29, 2020 from, https://www.wbur.org/earthwhile/2020/08/14/epa-stormwater-toxic-algae-phosphorus-charles-river

Due to the toxic algae blooms that grow on the Charles River every summer, the Environmental Protection Agency is trying to find ways to reduce this stormwater pollution in the river. The EPA is contacting private institutions on the Charles River watershed to discuss the proper procedure. This process might entail, permitting requirements for large private properties and if necessary, “certain commercial, industrial, and institutional properties in the Charles River watershed — like office parks, industrial parks, shopping centers, private colleges and universities, and hospitals — would be subject to new federal Clean Water Act stormwater permits,”. It seems the missing piece is to start regulating privately-owned sources of pollution. This action was prompted by a petition from Charles River Watershed Association and the Boston based Conservation Law Foundation. Now it is up to the authority of the EPA under the Clean Water Act to limit the storm runoff into the Charles. 

This article shows how the impact of water pollution has pushed the community and surrounding organizations to take real action. Toxic algae blooms are extremely harmful, and so it’s very important that this be as mitigated as possible. These issues of water pollution need to be taken seriously because these polluted waters can cause a lot of damage and are left unregulated. For example, if a dog drinks out of a river with toxic algae blooms it can die.This also shows that everyone needs to be held accountable for polluting and harming the environment, whether it be on private land or not. Privately owned properties cannot do whatever they want and leave the river and environment to suffer the consequences. Clean water is not only vital to the ecosystems, but we need it to survive. 

2 thoughts on “EPA Moves To Reduce Runoff That Feeds Toxic Algae In Charles River

1. I am so glad to see that communities are taking this thing seriously because, like you said, toxic algae blooms can be extremely harmful. I think a great way to protect the environment is to regulate companies to reduce their emissions. The fact that a city did this is also impressive and I hope it encourages other cities to check their emissions and hopefully do the same.

• I agree with you, I think that this was a great step to making people aware and active in how the environment is affected. Also, I think it is very important that it does not stop here, this drive to help the environment needs to spread to every affected city across the country so each harmful situation can be approached and subdued.