Glitter litter ‘could be damaging rivers’

Briggs, H. (2020, October 14). Glitter litter ‘could be damaging rivers’. Retrieved November 16, 2020, from https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54545669

Researchers have found out more about the harmful effects of glitter (even biodegradable alternatives) on the environment. All types of glitter effected plant and algae growth in laboratory tests. Scientists collected samples and applied six different types of glitter to each miniature pond, all of which decreased the growth of algae and plants like duckweed. Additionally, the impacts of these glitters can be seen on plants and snails within 36 days, and there could be even more consequences long term.

This article really revealed how we can contribute to plastic pollution and the destruction of ecosystems even with the smallest actions. One wouldn’t usually point to glitter as the culprit of plastic pollution, but it plays a part in contributing to microplastic pollution. It makes me wonder what other microplastics we discard regularly without thinking about. One that I can think of is the beads in exfoliants which have now been switched to biodegradable for the most part. There are likely many other small contributors to plastic pollution that we may not consider. 

4 thoughts on “Glitter litter ‘could be damaging rivers’

1. I totally agree that this article emphasizes our ignorance to small everyday things that can contributing to plastic pollutions. I also think that although environmental law and regulation is important to enforce in order to reverse the effects of plastic waste that turns into pollution, the real change comes from us and our choices everyday! There are plenty of things with plastic waste but what we do to dispose of it can impact plastic pollution or not. What do you think are some ways we can dispose fo plastic that promote environmental health?

• Thank you for reading! I think it is important that we are very conscious about our disposal of plastics, and make sure they go into designated trash places, not in the sink and into our waterways.

2. Plastics or not, human waste is the number one polluter of Earth. Small things like glitter can add up and soon enough people don’t realize that it can go beyond just glitter. With an economy based around production and consumerism, do you think it is possible to curb the environmental damage humans have done so far?

• Thanks for reading! I think that with an economy based around production and consumerism, it is not possible to curb the environmental damage that we have done. The change must come with our mentalities, economy, and society and following that I think it will be possible for us to reverse our environmental damage.