A Probiotic for Corals.

Marine researchers from the University of Hawaii and San Diego State University are studying and researching coral probiotics. Although many coral reefs are at risk because of climate change, many coral reefs also suffer from chemical and bacterial issues. Coral reefs suffering from stress can be dominated by algae. Coral probiotics function like human probiotics, meaning that they will help fight off many bacteria and viruses found in ecological processes involving coral reefs. Researchers are also studying beneficial bacteria that can help improve reef health.

Before reading this article, I had no idea that coral probiotics existed. I think that coral probiotics is a fascinating topic and also incredibly important. I find it very interesting that coral probiotics are very similar to human probiotics and it makes me wonder if there are any other similarities between human health and coral health. After reading this article, i’m very excited to learn more about the discoveries of coral probiotics and how they will help restore the reefs.

4 thoughts on “A Probiotic for Corals.

1. Great article choice and great thoughts on the article as well. Just like you, I had no idea about coral probiotics. I think that any solution to help coral reefs should be looked at and tested as we really need these amazing creatures and places. My question to you is this; Can coral probiotics be a full-time fix, or if they even work, is it more of a bandage fix?

• Hi! Thank you so much for commenting. I’m not super sure if coral probiotics are a full-time fix as I’m still learning more about the concept but I will do my best to find out!

2. I think this is very interesting because I was also unaware this existed. Are there other forms of probiotics for other plants/animals?

• Hi Solie! I’m sure there are other forms of probiotics for other species but I haven’t heard of any specific ones. Thank you so much for your comment!