Adopt-A-Topic (2nd phase)

Gtm, ( 1 Jun, 2020) How Should California Wind Down Its Fossil Fuel Industry?. Retrieved November 17, 2020, from https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/how-should-california-wind-down-its-fossil-fuel-industry (Links to an external site.). The article “How Should California Wind Down Its Fossil Fuel Industry?” describes how california is one of the biggest oil and crude providers, but also one of the leading sates in the green energy initiative. The article overall summarize how california new governor is working with the oil companies to provide safe restrictions and provide the company with jobs and opportunity. Furthermore it goes to state relevant events like Covid-19 and how california government is working towards a greener environment while providing for the decline oil business.

In my opinion this article is super cool, informative, and overall really interesting. The articles does a great job explaining how california is in both paths of energy and how they are finding equal solution for both sides. the article specifically explains how the new governor is working on restricting the guidelines and rules of the oil companies, but at the same time providing the declining business with opportunities and a way back up. This article is related to environmental science because with the cut back of oil and california moving forward with the green initiative, climate change is being confronted and stooped and california’s air, land, and overall ecosystem will see positive benefits.

7 thoughts on “Adopt-A-Topic (2nd phase)

1. This is really interesting. In your eyes, what is California doing to help support the declining oil business? You mention that they are providing them with a “way back up”—if this is a financial way back up, is that counterintuitive to the green initiative in the first place?

2. I enjoyed your take on the article. I think it is really good that California is trying to compromise and find a balance between fossil fuels and renewable energy. What are some initiatives or decisions California is doing to find a balance? Are they instituting more regulations? Less regulations? Incentives?

3. I like your take on this article! I think it is interesting that our governor is working to shrink the fossil fuel industries with more regulations, but understands economic concerns and is providing relief. I think this is important to consider both sides. I think it is also vital to provide more funding to the renewable energy sources and side more with them to sustain a healthy environment.

4. Its odd to see such counter intuitive actions from our own state that already has so much innovation going towards a green world.