The evolution of consumer electronic waste in the United  States.

Althaf, S., Babbitt, C. W., & Chen, R. (2020, October 13). The evolution of consumer electronic waste in the United States. Journal of Industrial Ecology. doi:10.1111/jiec.13074

The journal article presents an analysis of electronic waste production in the United States. Even though technology is rising at an all time high, e-waste is steadily declining. The total mass of e-waste is declining; more specifically, it has declined by 10% since a peak in 2015. New technologies are replacing the more obsolete and chemically dangerous methods from before. This results in reduced risks of toxic waste produced from metals like lead and mercury, but it also means technology is looking in the direction of other scarce metals and designs that may not be so prone to recycling. Ultimately, this paper cautions consumers and governments to be more aware of the new dangers and to study them in further detail.

My own life has always been surrounded by technology. As I’ve grown older, the less I can seem to get away from it. It has consumed larger parts of my life each year, and I found it very surprising that even though we use more technology, the total electronic waste has been decreasing. It makes me wonder if we are making more durable technology or have found more environmentally friendly ways to dispose of such materials. It is certainly a mixture of both. However, because we are shifting into new materials that have not been researched in as great depth, I am weary if we are missing anything out and if we might be overlooking some other forms of environmental damage.

2 thoughts on “The evolution of consumer electronic waste in the United  States.

1. Hi! I loved reading your abstract and I completely agree that technology plays a large role in my life. I was very surprised to learn that the amount of e-waste we produce is declining and I am curious as to why that is. What are some ways that people are disposing their old technology?

• They are throwing it in landfills inappropriately or handing it down. Either way unless disposed at an e-waste specific center it can have detrimental impacts.