Channel Islands Offer a Roadmap to Healthy Seas

Wisckol, Martin. “Channel Islands Offer a Roadmap to Healthy Seas.” Orange County Register, Orange County Register, 4 Feb. 2021, www.ocregister.com/2021/02/04/channel-islands-offers-a-roadmap-to-healthy-seas/. 

Throughout the world, the ocean vertebrate populations have declined by 50%, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be restored. The Channel Islands located in California show how restoration truly is a possibility. The county of Santa Barbara, which is where the Channel Islands reside, has set many rules and regulations in place to protect the coral reefs and other ecosystems surrounding the coast. These rules have banned commercial fishing and seabed mining. There also have been maany regulations set to protect the water that resides near the coast. Thanks to these new rules and regulations, the fish population in the Santa Barbara Channel has increased by almost 50%. There has also been an 80% increase in total mass of sea life.

This article shows how restoring our environment is completely possible as long as we take the necessary steps. By setting new rules and regulations, the county of Santa Barbara was able to restore the ecosystems surrounding their coast. The restoration mindset can be applied to a great variety of ecosystems and environmental life, not just coral reefs. I think that it’s important that many people read this article because it shows how necessary it is to take action right away before things get more out of hand. I find it fascinating that they were able to restore so much of the ecosystem and it makes me incredibly hopeful for the future.

3 thoughts on “Channel Islands Offer a Roadmap to Healthy Seas

1. This was such a great thing to read. I feel a lot of the time Environmental Science is always talking about the negative aspects or ways we can change, but this was a great example of a successful accomplishment. I agree with how it is so important to take action because, in the long run, it might be too late to make a change. My question to you is did SB invest any money in this restoration, or was it only law regulations? Did they receive a lot of backlash from fisheries?

2. This was great to read. I agree that it is very important to take action right away, rather than letting the problem grow and eventually get out of hand. Will the process that was used in the Chanel Islands be applicable and beneficial for other areas?

3. This was very interesting. I had had no idea that Santa Barbara had established so many rules to try to protect the ocean environment! It was also hopeful to think how these methods could potentially be applied to other environments. Is the process used in Santa Barbara available for other areas as well? Or is it specifically just for this area?