CSUN Prof Finds Aggressive Alga Threatening Health of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Ramos Chandler, Carmen. “CSUN Prof Finds Aggressive Alga Threatening Health of Caribbean Coral Reefs.” CSUN Today, 30 Nov. 2020, csunshinetoday.csun.edu/media-releases/csun-prof-finds-aggressive-alga-threatening-health-of-caribbean-coral-reefs/. 

The reefs in the Caribbean are currently under attack due to an algae that is growing over the reefs and creating a layer of crust on top of them. A researcher at the California State University of Northridge—named Peter Edmunds—has been studying this algae along with his team members. Edmunds has observed that the algae is growing at a very fast rate and it is interfering with the reproduction rates of the reefs and the reef’s ecosystems. Edmunds noted that he first noticed the algae about five years ago, but didn’t think much of it until recent discoveries. Edmunds and his team are currently raising money so that they can continue to study this algae and hopefully stop it from destroying the reefs.

It truly is heartbreaking to read about everything that is happening to our reefs. Their health has always been a big concern of mine because of the effects of climate change and pollution. It’s disheartening to learn that they are already under so much stress, and now this has been added on top of that. Because everybody was so worried about the effects of hurricanes and bleaching, nobody thought to watch the algae and make sure it didn’t harm the reefs. I am very hopeful that Edmunds and his team will be able to thoroughly research this algae so that they can help restore the reefs surrounding the Caribbean.

2 thoughts on “CSUN Prof Finds Aggressive Alga Threatening Health of Caribbean Coral Reefs

1. Coral is definitely under threat, and I share your concerns Stephanie. Did the article mention if the algae were related to fertilizer runoff? The Caribbean waters can be so warm too. I have to think that in the end nature is resilient. In the meantime, I want to encourage you to go snorkeling or even get your scuba certification and get down there to experience and be inspired by that underwater universe. There are some very large env problems, but from my understanding, lots of issues with the ocean can be solved in a relatively shorter amount of time (ie. stop the fertilizer!)

Thanks for all your good work following this topic Stephanie… and bringing it to our APES community.

2. The corals situation is even more concerning when you take into account that they are home to 90% of marine wildlife. And while I agree that nature is resilient, I have to be skeptical as there is slow progress and with introductions of invasive and “aggressive” algae. Is there a current plan to stop the algae ?