State Bacteria Are Attacking California’s Trout Supply

The New York Times, State Bacteria Are Attacking California’s Trout Supply, Written by Will McCarthy, September 29, 2020 (link)

In late April, trout began to show odd symptoms in local hatcheries. These symptoms involved bulging of the eyes, swelling of the abdomen, and more. After running tests, studies showed that it was Lactococcus garvieae. The bacterial infection was first seen in a Spanish hatchery in 1988, before making its way through various countries to the United States. While some fish show symptoms, others are asymptomatic, making this disease even harder to track. 

There is a lot of care that goes into looking over fish, let alone any organism, from creating a stable environment for them to thrive, to properly caring for them. Not only does this article mention the topic of hatcheries, but it also brings up the economy of certain areas, which are both prevalent topics when discussing environmental science. All of these factors are being compromised by the Lactococcus garvieae infection, which fits in the category of environmental related diseases. I was shocked to learn about the amount of fish being subjected to this illness, as well as the decisions that were made regarding this issue.

2 thoughts on “State Bacteria Are Attacking California’s Trout Supply

1. I hadn’t heard of this disease before, Eden. Did the article happen to mention if climate change or the drought conditions are setting the stage for this disease by stressing the fish? Is it just the hatchery fish, which I would assume have conditions more easy to control than in the wild, or wild populations as well. Of course this is the last thing we need for our fish populations. Sounds like it’s been around for a while- I wonder what’s causing it to flare up.

Nice post, Eden.

2. Thanks for responding to my post! I hadn’t heard of this disease either. The article didn’t really specify why this disease was on the loose. I believe it was only seen in hatcheries, or at least for the most part, which is why this outbreak is so dangerous. I also wonder what causes it and what we can do to stop, or at least slow, the spread of it.