Fishing Infractions By Country in 2021

The US report on Unreported and Unregulated fishing reveals the 31 nations that engaged in IUU fishing activitues this past year. Along with the 31 nations, Mexico was additionally flagged for failing to restrict vessels from crossing into the US waters of the gulf of Mexico and engaging in IUU fishing. As a result the US plans to restrict Mexican vessels from entering US ports and possibly restricting their imports. Overall the article sheds a negative light on global fishing standards and goes to show the work that needs to be done.

In terms of Environmental science the article is rather disappointing. It is disappointing that 31 countries are breaking laws that protect our oceans speciation,

2 thoughts on “Fishing Infractions By Country in 2021

1. Quinn- Your abstract is solid but I’d like to see more commentary in your follow up paragraph. Why do you think these violations are taking place. This is the text book Tragedy of the Commons situation… however with the regulations they are trying to avoid this. What consequences do you think other countries should get for violations? Is what the US may do to Mexico enough?

• Thanks for the comment, the violations seem to be occuring in countries with weaker economies. Many of these fisherman may be breaking these laws to feed themselves and their families. They also might not understand the magnitude of their actions without a proper education. I think countries need to educate rather than punish, at the end of the day it’s the fisherman making violations not the country itself. In my opinion the US made a worthy punishment to Mexico but I would like to see the education Idea too, whether it’s at docks on signs, comericals whatever it takes.