Lotion in the ocean: is your sunscreen killing the sea?

Saner, E. (2021, August 6). Lotion in the ocean: is your sunscreen killing the sea? The Guardian. Retrieved 20 August, 2021, from https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/06/lotion-in-the-ocean-is-your-sunscreen-killing-the-sea

A major factor of the decline of coral reefs is sunscreen in the ocean. Studies have shown that, once in the ocean, it bleaches the coral and damages algae and other species. The percent of coral that has been bleached continues to rise each year. While some people chose to wear “reef safe” sunscreen, this is not much better. Tests have shown that these also bleach and harm wildlife in the ocean. Some places, including Hawaii and Mexico, have started to ban some or all brands of sunscreen.

Bleaching of coral is obviously a huge environmental issue at this time, that has been caused by humans. Even though chemicals like oxybenzone help protect us from the sun’s rays, they damage the DNA in coral. If it is impossible for one to stop using sunscreen while in the ocean, they should at least avoid brands with chemicals like these at all times. I was shocked by this article, for I was never taught that products like sunscreen could be so harmful to our earth. More people should hear about this information, because if more people were educated on this topic, they could make smarter and cleaner decisions. I for one will definitely look into what effects the products I use have on the environment before buying and using them.

2 thoughts on “Lotion in the ocean: is your sunscreen killing the sea?

1. Isn’t this a crazy notion? Sunscreen is pollution??? It seems to me that this is a solvable problem. Why hadn’t you heard about this before? Because it hasn’t become common knowledge until very recently- most people don’t know. So what do you think should be the first course of action to stop this bad practice?

Good post, Ava.

2. Thank you for reading my post! The first step to stop this problem should be more beaches, especially ones near coral reefs, start banning all sunscreens that contain harmful chemicals. Eventually, an even better solution would be that the production of these sunscreens is completely stopped.