Wetland rules put hog factory on hold.

Seitz, G., Dunaski, K., Blodgett, B., & Maloy, M. (2021, August 20). Wetland rules put hog factory on hold. Retrieved August 22, 2021, from https://www.stcroix360.com/2021/08/wetland-rules-put-hog-factory-on-hold/

A company called Cumberland LLC wanted to build a hog farm on land that was found to be saturated with water because of being used for growing corn. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources declared the site a protected wetland site, where nothing could be built. Cumberland disagreed, saying that since the wetland was human-made, it could not be considered as something in need of mitigation. The DNR says that if wetlands can’t be avoided, special permits need to be bought. The DNR stopped viewing the proposal, leaving the question unsettled.

I found this story to be very interesting, especially because the case has not been resolved. It brings up the question: does wetland conservation apply to wetlands made from human actions? I would assume it depends on whether the wetland in question has a stable ecosystem that is at risk. Both sides of this case are strong. On one hand, the factory would produce manure that would benefit surrounding agriculture. On the other hand, its fumes would contaminate the surrounding rivers, groundwater, and air.

One thought on “Wetland rules put hog factory on hold.

1. Great job weighing the pros and cons of both sides of the argument. I also found it interesting that this is an ongoing problem that hasn’t been resolved. If the man-made wetlands are now protecting and harboring species I think it’s essential to protect those species.