Invasive Caterpillars Invading Maine

Jiménez, Jesus. “Maine Residents Fend off Poisonous Caterpillars.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 13 June 2021, www.nytimes.com/2021/06/13/us/maine-browntail-moth-caterpillar.html. 

This article talks about browntail moth caterpillars which have been infesting Maine in recent months. Scientists have noted that browntail moth caterpillars have been in Maine for nearly 100 years, but climate change and a more arid climate has allowed their population to thrive. The caterpillars themselves are somewhat poisonous and can cause skin rashes as well as breathing problems for certain people. The caterpillars’ are native to cape code and maine’s coast, but have recently been found in all 16 of Maine’s counties. Scientists believe the caterpillars hitchhiked their way into Maine 100 years ago. Infestations are supposed to only get worse as climate change creates a more ideal environment for them. 

Perhaps the most significant aspect of this article is climate change’s role in invasive species being able to thrive. Climate change has obviously played a role in changing environments but what many forget is that this can cause damage to existing ecosystems, plants, and animals. In turn, other invasive species have been given a better chance to survive in new environments. While some may argue that this can still benefit already existing species, it can also damage other existing species. Many of the ecosystems we see today have existed for hundreds of years and have been stabilized to create a healthy cycle. Climate change is one of  the biggest deterrent to keeping ecosystems stable.  

6 thoughts on “Invasive Caterpillars Invading Maine

1. It is sad to learn how global climate change impacts the reproduction of invasive species. Do you know if the caterpillars only affect those who are allergic to them or all types of people? Also, do you know if there’s anything scientists can do to stop the spread of these caterpillars, apart from stopping climate change?

• From what I found allergic people have the worst reactions, but someone without allergies can still get rashes and irritations. While we obviously can’t stop climate change, we may be able to limit their population so they become less of a disturbance.

2. I hadn’t know that climate change played a role in invasive species’ reproduction. This is yet another result of the devastating effects of climate change. This seem to be yet another reason to try to prevent climate change as much as possible. Are all invasive species positively affected by climate change, or just some of them?

• Climate change made Maine a suitable habitat for the caterpillars, so likewise I think it can also negatively affect invasive species. This could also affect species that were already part of the ecosystem.

3. Taran- I imagine this scenario will be unfolding in lots of places. With “invasive species” I normally think of them as something humans either intentionally or accidentally introduced somewhere. Do you think species that expand their range as the climate changes should be considered invasive too?

• I would argue that they are still invasive. Introducing some species can have a serious effect on the health of an ecosystem, so considering that to be normal would take away from the problem at hand, at least in my opinion.