Making Use of Fish Waste

American Chemical Society. (2021, April 5). Making cleaner, greener plastics from waste fish parts. ScienceDaily. Retrieved August 27, 2021 from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210405075901.htm

Polyurethanes are a common type of plastic used in many items today such as clothing and construction materials, however, one of the major components is crude oil. This is a complication, given that crude oil is a highly toxic, non-renewable resource that is very difficult to break down. Fish oil is a potential alternative for crude oil, as it provides a more decomposable option when soaked with water or mixed with the enzyme “lipase” which can break down fats within the oil. This new plastic is still amidst its testing phase and seems to be a great replacement for other intoxicating chemicals.

I think this article has successfully reinforced the idea that there is a solution to everything in this world pertaining to the environment. There will always be a fix for any problem to come, it is a simple matter of whether or not we act on it. Not only is fish oil an amazing substitute for crude oil, but it also supplies various industries (clothing, refrigeration, construction) with a more environmentally friendly option. It also makes great use of the fish waste that pollutes aquatic ecosystems and communities that use fish as their primary source of nutrients. Such a creation would majorly contribute to the economy as well, this is because of the extensive amount of work done within the crude oil industry and how much money and land is being used harvesting the resource. However, I don’t quite fully understand the method of creating plastic from the fish waste, and whether or not all of the fish waste is completely utilized in the process. 

3 thoughts on “Making Use of Fish Waste

1. I agree with what you say where there are a lot of solutions to environmental issues, however I would not say that everything has a solution. Many things are irreversible. For example, an extinct species can’t be brought back to life no matter how much you brainstorm or try to do it.

2. Interesting article! However, I think it’s important to note that not everything has a solution. Most things do have alternatives/solutions, but some things are impossible to fix once they’ve gone on for long enough. What are some other examples of solutions to environmental issues?

3. I like your optimism, Chris… and I hope you’re right. If there’s one place we need solutions in the plastics industry. What do you think, will there be enough fish oil to meet the demand for the plastic we produce? Any time we can use a waste product of one thing to solve a different problem I think we’re on the right track.