Woodside Community Halting all new building in effort to Protect Mountain Lions.

Jensen, T. (2022, February 4). Woodside Community Halting all new building in effort to Protect Mountain Lions. NBC Bay Area. Retrieved February 5, 2022, from https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/peninsula/woodside-community-halting-all-new-building-in-effort-to-protect-mountain-lions/2800637/ 

The citizens in the city of Woodside, California have put their foot down when it comes to adding new buildings in their community in an effort to protect the community of mountain lions that inhabit the peninsula’s mountain regions from Redwood city to San Bruno. Community activists agree that the mountain lion presence in residential areas is increasing, and since they are an “threatened species and need the land to survive.” The city, with the support of Mayor Dick Brown, will vote to pass a town agreement as well as following the ideas of Senate Bill 9, which has been met with opposition by people who argue it is a move against having low income housing in the city.

I think that this is a good move for the city of Woodside, because it is a step in prioritizing endangered species over economy and profit. It is no secret that Bay Area real estate is highly profitable, especially in the Woodside, Hillsborough, and other mountain areas. So having an agreement as a town to protect the mountain lions and give them more area in nature as opposed to invading their habitat which makes them come into residential and urban areas which consequently deems them dangerous and could end in euthanization for them is very conscious of the community. While I see the opposition’s idea of how it could be preventative of having low income housing, it is my opinion that lower income housing can be implemented in other, already urban and developed areas of the Bay and not adding on and damaging what habitat is left. This relates to environmental science because it is related to litigation and town commitment to preserving habitats and taking action to protect an endangered species.

3 thoughts on “Woodside Community Halting all new building in effort to Protect Mountain Lions.

1. I agree with your opinion in prioritizing the endangered species land. It is important that we consider species habitats as much as our own land and not take over without thinking about them beforehand. If expansion of buildings is going to occur more, than we need to consider doing it in moderation (not too much of the land at once). Do you think the vote will ultimately pass the agreement?

2. I agree with you that the importance of keeping endangered animals alive is high, given that every organism contributes something to the environment. What do you think should happen if the mountain lion population in this area eventually gets too high?

3. Thanks everyone for their questions and comments. I loved that everyone saw my point about the importance of keeping Endangered species alive and using land is critical for the overall health of the ecosystem.