Maersk Buys Stake in Electrofuel Startup In Race to Ditch Oil

Maersk, the largest shipping line company in the world, based in Denmark, consumes 12 million tons of marine oil each year. However they have a plan to curb this consumption in order  to be carbon neutral by 2050. One step towards that is investing in the Silicon Valley startup Prometheus Fuels. Prometheus Fuels produces fuel by turning direct air capture CO2 into fuel. By investing a minority stake in the company, they earn a spot at the company’s board of directors. The purchase was of an undisclosed amount, but the investment will help develop Prometheus Fuels directive of helping big, oil-using companies, to ditch oil.

I find it so exciting to live in an area so booming with innovation for the future. It really gives me hope. I know this article is on the line between being a world topic, and a biofuel topic, and a California topic but it was too cool for me not to write about. We live in Silicon Valley, and the biggest shipping company in the world is trying to curb its fossil fuels by investing in a California, Silicon Valley start-up. Like UC Steve said it is going to be about mitigation and adaptation. We can’t stop using oil so we must find new solutions by creating new fuel. Hopefully more oil consuming companies will follow Maersk and begin looking for new ways to power their business. Especially here in our backyard. 

3 thoughts on “Maersk Buys Stake in Electrofuel Startup In Race to Ditch Oil

1. Great post! – I also think it is really inspiring that an oil company is looking to be more eco friendly and hopefully they set a precedent to other companies to do this as well. Do you think this can influence other companies to follow in their footsteps?

2. Thanks for the comment. I do believe this is a great influence for other companies. Especially if Maersk can begin to see economic benefits from their environmental chnages.

3. It’s really great to hear that oil companies are looking for more environmentally friendly options, also do you think people know a lot about this topic or do you think it is something that needs to be taught more? If so, what steps would you take as a teacher to share different aspects of this topic?