Africa Finding Ways to Follow Through on Basic Water Rights

Water: Recognizing it as a human right. (2021, September 9). Aqua Africa Foundation. https://aqua4all.org/2021/09/09/water-recognizing-it-as-a-human-right/

Kofi Annan of Africa in 2001 stated that “Access to safe water is a basic human need there for a basic human right”. Annan Before his death established goals which included cutting the number of people without water or access to water resources in half, not only in Africa, but in the world. He believes that competition for freshwater would become more of a conflict and an issue in the future. More recently Africa hopes to meet the water opportunities in the 21st century by bringing together researchers and policymakers in order to provide more water and easier access to people in the country and world. The article took a take-out climate change and the variables in hardships it may cost and therefore there will be even more people with less water due to higher rates and severe ness of droughts. Apollo’s Nwafor from African Green Revolution Alliance stated “futurism means that we should be able to consider predictable policies and predict what may happen based on data”. This means the government can determine what actions to take and what policies to enforce in order to reach the goal.

I find it personally interesting that this goal was set or at least stated 21 years ago, however this article talks little about how far Africa and the rest of the country has come in terms of reducing the number of people without access to water. I think the most important part to take away from the article is recognizing that water is a human right and therefore we need to find ways to provide and get people access to it, in order to ensure their rights are being protected. I believe since it is considered a rate that it is in the government’s control and power to help those of their country and grant them their basic needs and rights. This article relates to environmental science considering its discussion among the right people regarding water and their access to water in this case in Africa. I believe a lot more change can be made as so many people still do not have access and water is scarce and climate change is only becoming more prominent therefore these governments need to act fast and make change.

4 thoughts on “Africa Finding Ways to Follow Through on Basic Water Rights

1. Considering all the advancements in technology and standards of living in the 21st century, it is absurd that many people today in large parts of the world still do not have stable access to a supply of clean water. As climate change worsens droughts and natural disasters, it is more important than ever for all Africans to have, at the bare minimum, basic water rights. What has taken countries in Africa so long to supply clean water to its citizens; who or what is at fault here? Are there any sorts of plans to implement access to water for everyone in Africa?

• I completely agree with you. Africa, having many less developed countries, is what has been preventing so many of its citizens from basic water access and rights. I think there is so much room for other countries and even continents to go in and help though, and my hope for the future is that progress with be made with the help of outsiders. I read another interesting article stating “African governments have the responsibility to reach the over 300 million people who are currently deprived of improved drinking water” (un.org) which goes to show that people believe it is in the governments hands, however there are many ideas and plans involving gaining donations to help.

2. What are the best bets for technology that could fix the water crisis. How do we transport large amounts of water to areas that need it most?

• As of right now, there are many pipes pumping water to different countries and areas in Africa, however they are not all that reliable. I am not quite sure that transporting water to the areas directly would make the largest impact, therefore I rather suggest that the piping systems be improves and expanded to reach more populated areas.