Optimizing Coastal Wetland Restoration for carbon capture and storage.

Stephens, T. (2021, December 15). Optimizing Coastal Wetland Restoration for carbon capture and storage. UC Santa Cruz News. Retrieved February 7, 2022, from https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/12/wetlands-restoration.html 

This article overviews the need for wetlands to absorb and store carbon dioxide, provide habitat for wildlife, prevent flooding, and improve water quality. UCSC has scientists monitoring Elkhorn Slough and creating management guidelines and policies around wetlands. This collaborative project plans to develop a framework for habitat restoration and incorporate carbon dynamics. Scientists from the involved UCs want to maximize carbon burial rates and minimize emissions while considering sea-level rise.

This article sheds light on the fact that wetlands are often overlooked. It is reassuring that scientists are not only taking into account short-term solutions but also planning long-term projects. Another interesting trend I noticed was that many California-based articles on wetland restoration involve the goal of sequestering carbon. At the same time, I didn’t find that a goal when researching articles in the United States. Most articles didn’t put a value on carbon storage. This says a lot about California’s goals, and I like where they are directed. It is also nice that funding for the project will contribute towards educational components, which is very important to our future.

2 thoughts on “Optimizing Coastal Wetland Restoration for carbon capture and storage.

1. I totally agree with you. We need to put more light on wetlands. It also looks good that scientists are putting efforts into potential solutions. If we can sequester carbon while doing this, it would be great for the environment as well.