Gas prices in California will soar following the LA ban on new oil and gas wells, industry rep warns.

Talia, Kaplan. (February 1, 2022) Gas prices in California will soar following the LA ban on new oil and gas wells, industry rep warns. Retrieved from February 4th, 2022, from

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/how-will-los-angeles-ban-on-new-oil-and-gas-wells-impact-drivers-wallets

In Los Angeles California, gas prices could be on an even more extreme rise as oil production is even more limited. Los Angeles City Council voted to ban new oil wells along with phasing out preexisting wells. Arguments against the movement, state that this will create a loss of jobs and raise the price of gas. If more gas production is phased out in California more will be imported raising the prices even more. In response job programs have been created by the council for the workers. 

I think that this is a great decision by the city as they are working to phase outgas. Along with this, even the downsides are somewhat beneficial, as gas prices rise people will want to use less of it, therefore, creating a push for alternatives and a move to alternatives. I think that this is all great news for our future world as although yes we will still be importing oils and gasses it will be much more expensive and incentivize more change. Also, we will not be taxing our land by drilling or extracting oils which yes we will still be polluting the land but we won’t be disrupting the integrity of it as much. This move is a great step in the long push to minimize oil and gas usage from our world. 

6 thoughts on “Gas prices in California will soar following the LA ban on new oil and gas wells, industry rep warns.

1. I agree pashing outgas is excellent news for our future, and I liked your thought about how people will use less gas if the prices continue to rise. Do you think the environment will see a decrease in emissions because of this? People are still going to find a to get around, but I am wondering if you think the alternatives will be better, worse, or the same for the environment.

• I would like to think that alternatives will improve and our environment will improve but you are right, honestly, people will find a way around this. Additionally alternatives will take much longer to develop.

2. I thought this abstract was very interesting. There are definitely multiple ways someone could look at this. I agree with your points about switching to renewables, and how this would be a good way to switch to alternative energy sources. That being said, this plan would have to be done carefully, and the switch would have to be gradual, considering it leads to job loss (which you mentioned), and could be highly detrimental to the economy in other ways. On the other hand, you brought up a really good point about workers having more job opportunities from the creation of the council. Is this plan being instituted in other states as well?

• As far as my knowledge this is only California at the moment but Im fairly certain some other states are discussing doing the same.

3. I really like your positive take on this situation which is frustrating for all of us. I completely agree that LA County is doing the right thing and it will likely prompt change for many other cities and counties in California. I also feel like taking this positive approach to the Situation at a time when gas is already expensive is smart. If we can hold these prices where they are even after the conflict with Ukraine and Russia is over, our country will be at a much better place when it comes to emissions. How would you feel about holding prices after the conflict is over?

• I would myself not be in a position to be able to move away from gas financially so therefore my view would be biased, but with that said I still think it would be a great way to create change.