Kelp Is the Fastest Growing Aquaculture Sector in California

Commentary, Guest. “Kelp Is the Fastest Growing Aquaculture Sector in California.” CalMatters, 4 Feb. 2022, https://calmatters.org/commentary/reader-reactions/2022/02/kelp-is-the-fastest-growing-aquaculture-sector-in-california/.

Although not necessarily a fish species, kelp is a critical Californian fish ecosystem, and kelp forest can be found from as far south as the Mexican border and as far north as the Mexican border Oregon border, also being found on coastal islands like Catalina Island or the Channel Islands. The California coastal commission has approved for seven seaweed farms to be started as aqua culture grows as a farming possibility.  These leases of California waters are called “bottom leases “and they’re not giving out easily, there are 10 sites available that cover 16,000 acres of offshore Californian waters for aquaculture specifically.

Some believe aquaculture practices are detrimental to ocean ecosystems, it is in fact true that aquaculture and seaweed production could be driving forces in reversal of climate change or at least the stop of it. It is possible that we can create biofuel with seaweed, feed livestock with seaweed, and use it for other things that could be preventions of climate change. For example feeding seaweed to livestock reduces their carbon dioxide outputs significantly. And livestock carbon dioxide production is one of the greatest factors and greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere. Additionally it is already clear that these permits or bottom permits are not being given out easily, in fact the coastal act has prevented more than 10 from ever being given out since 1982. Now aquaculture is a “priority use, “and therefore it is clear that more permits will be given out. Try to tie this into the rest of my articles so far is interesting, as it deals with the ocean and not coastal rivers, however all the articles connect and that associations seem to be smart about handing out restrictions or prohibitions, and since earlier in the year when I read articles it seems that these associations are doing a much better job.

4 thoughts on “Kelp Is the Fastest Growing Aquaculture Sector in California

1. I agree that aquaculture can be detrimental to the aquatic environment, but there are valuable uses that can be derived from this space. Is it more detrimental that another source of fuel? Is is better to leave current carbon standpoints they way they are increasing? I think that these 10 sites can be very helpful.

• Thanks for the comment, to be honest, most of your ideas when it comes to this Kelp biofuel source are similar to mine. I am skeptical of it becoming a viable source, but at the end of the day if it works it works, and if we have the infrastructure to do in the form of oceans so we may as well use it.

2. Wow, that is very interesting. I had no idea that seaweed had that huge of role in reversing climate change. I’m glad they are using it to there advantage

• Thanks for the comment, it is not quite true that seaweed is going to reverse or is reversing climate change, but we do have the option to investigate this source of fuel and use it to our advantage in the future.