Metroparks meetup

Smith, D. (2021, August 6). Metroparks meetup: An inside look at Phase 2 of Howard Marsh Metropark. https://www.13abc.com. https://www.13abc.com/2021/08/06/metroparks-meetup-an-inside-look-phase-2-howard-marsh-metropark/. 

A few years ago, the Howard Marsh Metropark restoration project was one of the largest such projects ever opened in the United States. After a few years of work, the second phase of the long project will begin. For the last century, the land has been used for agricultural purposes, so the restoration of a wetland will not be an easy task. Over 200 acres of land will need to be transformed. However, at the end of the project, people can expect a beautiful land that can be enjoyed by people and wildlife alike.

The article talked about a large project that was currently underway. The land that had up until recently been used for agriculture had been sold and was being converted into a wetland. To me, this showed how we can restore natural areas even after they have been used and abused for the production of things like our food. I was impressed that this project was approved, because it seemed like such a big commitment.

6 thoughts on “Metroparks meetup

1. I thought this article was interesting because of the initiative some states are taking in bringing back our healthy environments. Do you think more states should create similar projects?

• I think that all states can focus more on projects similar to the one talked about in the article. Thanks for the comment.

2. It is inspiring to see society trying to return nature back into its original form, and it gives me hope for the future of the US’s wetlands. It is tricky sometimes to transform land used for agriculture back into nature but the effort put into this project shows us that it is doable.

• Thanks for your comment Natalie, I agree that the work to turn land used for agriculture back to it’s original state is well worth it.

3. I think that this is a really interesting project. Helping restore the ecosystem back to its original state is a really cool thing. How did they get the funding for such a project?

• Thanks for your comment. The funding was accrued from different organizations and commitees that fund wildlife projects.