Middle East in Uphill Battle to Meet Net-Zero as Emissions Set to Rise.

S&P Global. (2021, December 24) Middle East in Uphill Battle to Meet Net-Zero as Emissions Set to Rise. Retrieved February 1, 2022, from https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/122421-commodities-2022-middle-east-in-uphill-battle-to-meet-net-zero-as-emissions-set-to-rise

The Middle East is severely struggling to work towards net-zero emissions, as their economy is heavily dependent on natural gas and crude oil. Additionally, there is a big problem in the Middle East’s industrial and refining sectors, as these areas are very large, and cannot implement the usage of electricity. Saudi Arabia has pledged to reach net-zero emissions by 2060, which would be a major step in the right direction towards reversing climate change. However, the countries claims may be misleading, as they are continuing to spend billions of dollars in order to expand their crude oil production. 

While I understand that the Middle East’s economy is heavily dependent on sectors where electricity cannot be implemented, I think it is important to work harder towards net-zero emissions. With the OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia claiming to reach net-zero by the year 2060, while continuing to upscale their crude oil output, it is clear that we are not taking this matter seriously enough. Countries need to be more focused on investing their money towards nuclear power and other sources of electricity, as opposed to expanding their crude output capacity. If we do not begin this process now, carbon emissions are going to continue to rise, and it will become increasingly difficult to remove carbon from the atmosphere, let alone reduce our output.

2 thoughts on “Middle East in Uphill Battle to Meet Net-Zero as Emissions Set to Rise.

1. I thought you made a lot of good points in the opinion paragraph. I especially agree that we aren’t taking the climate crisis seriously enough, and a lot needs to be done in the oil industry.
    Did your article mention how Saudi Arabia plans on reaching net-zero emissions? I’m not sure how a country that depends so heavily on oil exports would be able to reach that goal.

2. The article did not directly talk about how Saudi Arabia could reach that goal, but it stresses the fact that they need to at least begin working on renewable energy sources.