Climate Change Is Altering the Smell of Snow

Fallik, Dawn. “Climate Change Is Altering the Smell of Snow.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 5 Feb. 2022, https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2022/02/05/snow-smell-climate-change/.

The rising temperature due to climate change is affecting things that many of us would have never even thought about, for example, the smell of snow. Dawn Fallik, the author of the article “Climate change is altering the smell of snow” published by The Washington Post, explained how the scent of snow replicates what is in the air and on the ground. Johan Lundstrom, a clinical neuroscience professor said that scents are more apparent in warmer and more humid climates, so due to warmer temperatures, impurities in the air are reflected in the smell and are more apparent.

This is just one example of the tragedies that global warming has caused, and while this is not a huge deal, the joyous winter smell that many of us love is getting harder and harder to find. It is quite unpleasant to think that unless rapid change is made, the next generation of children will not have the experience of playing in the snow. I am also curious about how this may affect the economy of countries and states that rely on tourism to get money. In the article, it explained that even small amounts of pollution in the air make a noticeable difference in the smell of the snow, and I would suspect no one would want to go on vacation to a malodered place.

One thought on “Climate Change Is Altering the Smell of Snow

1. I think that this is so cool and funky. I agree that it is unpleasant to think about what snow and what the world is going to look like for future generations. How does this connect to acid rain? What does it smell like?