Nebraska and Colorado are sparring over water rights. It could be the new norm as rivers dry up

Elam, S, Kravarik, J. (2022, August 7). Nebraska and Colorado are sparring over water rights. It could be the new norm as rivers dry up. CNN. Retrieved August 28, 2022 from https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/06/us/drought-water-canal-colorado-nebraska-climate/index.html

This month Nebraska announced a plan to build a canal on Colorado land to divert water from the South Platte River. Although a century-old pact between the states allows Nebraska the right to do this, there are still opponents. One such example is Colorado Governor Jared Polis, along with some Colorado farmers, who think the plan is not the best idea. As droughts continue and Colorado’s population grows, Nebraska wants to ensure that it has enough water to water its fields and sustain its population. However, former plans to build canals have failed and the plans could lead to increased tensions between the two states. 

As water levels in rivers and reservoirs continue to decrease, I think it’s likely that we will see more of these water fights in the future. Although this one stayed, and will hopefully continue to stay, pretty civil, I worry about water wars between countries in the future. There have always been wars over water, but increased droughts and population growth will make the problem worse. This article made me think about whether there will be more attempts to divert water from upstream across various borders. 

2 thoughts on “Nebraska and Colorado are sparring over water rights. It could be the new norm as rivers dry up

1. I believe that there should be some middle ground in terms of the rights to the water. While I don’t think that Nebraska should be able to siphon off most of the water, I do believe they should be able to get enough water to support their state without being detrimental to Colorado. Does Nebraska have any other major water reservoirs that it can draw from or is this their only option? on top of that how much water is Nebraska planning on using up from the South Platte RIver?

• Thank you for your comment! Most Nebraskans receive their water from the Ogallala Aquifer, not this river. Nebraska hasn’t announced how much water they will be using, but they will only be taking water during the fall and the winter, which are non irrigation months.