Opinions of Climate Change Based on Political Standpoint

Roston, E. (2022, July 25). Why Isn’t There a Mass Movement in the US to Stop Climate Change? Bloomberg.com, Bloomberg. Retrieved August 15, 2022. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-25/why-isn-t-there-a-mass-movement-in-the-us-to-stop-climate-change. 

A poll was created by the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and George Mason University’s Center for Climate Change Communication that measured how much a person places their priority on climate change based on their political standpoint. Based on the poll, Liberal Democrats placed global warming as one of their top three highest priorities, while Conservative Republicans would often place the issue in last place. Because Americans are individualistic and hold “clean energy” as an abstract ideal, many Americans do not feel the need to take action if the issue doesn’t seem to affect them personally.

I immediately noticed that the article held some biases for the liberal democratic party because of their deliberate choice of words, tone of voice, and attitude. However, I found the article enlightening as I learned that environmental science seemed to be a much more common topic of discussion for liberals rather than conservatives. I find this interesting because we must worry how anything will get accomplished and passed through congress if we still debate about the necessity to fix climate change. Personally, I find that climate change is an issue that will affect our society as a whole, and if people do not become properly educated on the subject now, it will only continue to become more difficult to cooperate with one another in order to solve climate change.