Delta water crisis linked to California’s racist past, tribes and activists say

James, I. (2022, May 26). Delta water crisis linked to California’s racist past, tribes and activists say. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 17, 2022, from https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-05-26/california-delta-water-policy-tied-to-racist-past-tribes-say

The Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta is a major water source for much of California, but Indigenous tribes and environmental activists have submitted a petition objecting to how California manages the delta, saying it is not only unsustainable, but rooted in a history of racism against certain racial groups, particularly Indigenous people. The petition argues that modern management policies are still influenced by older laws about Indigenous land rights, and that they favor big agricultural corporations who have unsustainable practices but who are established in the area due to benefitting from more than a century worth of laws. Activists are asking for the state to change its standards to make sure adequate water flows in the delta to protect water quality and endangered species, and to recognize tribal uses of water.

This article shows the connection between laws from more than a hundred years ago to modern environmental practices. Given what I know about large corporations and agricultural practices, it’s unsurprising how unsustainable some of their water management methods are to the environment; I also found it interesting to learn about the impact this has on Indigenous groups, not only by limiting their own ability to make use of the water they need, but also by harming and endangering species that some tribes consider sacred. It was also saddening to read about some of the policies that still have a lingering impact. For example, one interviewee said, “from 1913 to 1945, California’s racist Alien Land Law prevented Filipinos from owning property, which is a prerequisite for acquiring water rights.” Now, there’s clearly a need for harms like this to be amended; even if the laws on paper have been reformed, the wealth that certain groups were never allowed to accrue decades ago impacts who has and doesn’t have water rights today. Issues like this are essential to understanding environmental science and justice, as they shape the environmental practices we use and the impact they have on surrounding communities. 

2 thoughts on “Delta water crisis linked to California’s racist past, tribes and activists say

1. Katie- I really appreciate your thoughtful insights that came through in your follow up paragraph. We will have some discussions around the Delta specifically in class. I must admit, it’s always been like an big ag v. wildlife dilemma and I personally haven’t highlighted the tribal use of water that’s also affected. But of course there were indigenous people using that water who in a perfect world would have senior water rights because they were using it first. The whole world of water rights is a mess… but I like you mention, people are asking for the system to be amended for the sake of justice as well as our current reality of less water and more people in CA. That is a legal battle already unfolding. Do you think this could be a situation where we need someone in power to just dictate that the water policies must change? Considering how inappropriate some of them are in current times, what can be done? So many farmers think that water is their birthright.

• Thanks for reading! This whole issue of water rights is difficult to resolve and I certainly don’t claim to have definite answers. Still, I think this is a situation where someone in power should step in; while some farmers may believe that water is their birthright, there’s no reason why that’s any more true for them than for other groups of people, including Indigenous peoples who have ancestral ties to the land. This reminds me of the saying, “for those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.” Yes, big-agriculture farmers have a valid need for water, but so do other groups. While government intervention may upset some stakeholders, I think that’s unavoidable in our efforts for justice.