The Inflation Reduction Act was passed!

Isaacs-Thomas, I. (2022, August 11). What the inflation reduction act does for green energy. PBS. Retrieved August 16, 2022, from https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/what-the-inflation-reduction-act-does-for-green-energy 

Recently, the Inflation Reduction Act was passed to veer Americans away from fossil fuels; instead reaching towards green, renewable energy. This act provided citizens with financial incentives to make such a drastic switch — the most significant being electric cars and the installation of solar panels. As of right now, practicing a green lifestyle comes at a luxury cost but this act is meant to help lower-income citizens participate in lessening their carbon footprint. The goal by 2030 is for Americans to reduce their carbon footprint to 40% of what it was in 2005.

The Inflation Reduction Act is a strategic way to steer Americans away from relying solely on non-renewable energy sources by introducing more sustainable sources of energy. Many are hesitant to decrease their carbon footprint because it comes at a premium cost; however, when the financial burden is no longer taken into account, I believe that many people will make the switch. I think that this is a good way to encourage people to integrate renewable energy into their lifestyle until it becomes a normal system. Most importantly, it greatly helps the worsening climate change crisis that we have caused, which continues to grow. 

2 thoughts on “The Inflation Reduction Act was passed!

1. Super interesting to read! I wonder what sort of policies the government can begin to implement in order to lessen the financial burden that this bill could place on the individual.

• Hi, thank you for your question! I think that a start would for government to restrict some of the cost of green goods. I’m sure that there would be lots of outrage, but the profit margins on some of these markets are ridiculously high and make sustainable living a luxury.