Adopt-a-topic

21, P. A. (2022, April 5). Caring for Hawaii’s coral reefs. Pacific RISA – Managing Climate Risk in the Pacific. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.pacificrisa.org/2022/03/25/saving-hawaiis-coral-reefs/ 

Climate stressors are not the only thing that affects coral reefs. Pollution also greatly affects the health of a coral reef such as runoff, spills, fishing tactics. Pollution also causes coral bleaching, the pollution causes heat waves one being called “The blob” that occured in 2019. Now that climate change has become worse and worse, heat waves will become more and more comen and very taxing on the reef and its community. 

This article really shows that pollution also causes problems in the reefs. It also talks about heat waves and that they will become more and more common as more pollution and ocean acidification continues and grows. We need to be more careful with runoff, spills and fishing tactics because it is very harmful not just for the reefs and environment but also for us. The coral reefs around the world are home to 25% of the oceans’ life and feed many people around the world.

4 thoughts on “Adopt-a-topic

1. I knew that pollution would harm the marine animals but I didn’t know that it also causes harm coral reefs. Other than avoiding pollution ending up in the ocean, is there another way to protect the coral reefs.

2. I agree that pollution is a problem and that it harms coral reefs. Is there a way to revive coral reefs? What about preventing them from coming in contact with contaminants?

3. I agree that we need to be more careful with runoff, spills, and fishing tactics. My question is, how can we (students at MA) get laws passed to make people more careful, or raise awareness?

4. I completely agree that pollution is negatively affecting the environment, specifically the coral reefs. Obviously, pollution harms the environment, but you also mentioned that pollution harms us, in what ways does pollution directly affect the people who live here?