Dams Are Supposed to Prevent Floods. Some May Make Them Worse

Study finds dams may make flooding worse on silty and sandy rivers. Finding suggests river managers might need to rethink flood control strategies. Hongbo Ma studied the Yellow River, which is one of the world’s muddiest rivers. The Lower Yellow River dam was built on the Yellow River in China’s Inner Mongolia region in 1999. Ma wondered whether the dam would cause floods to back up, overflow riverbanks, and spill onto the floodplain. At the end of his result it should that floods could be as deep as twice the size of the dam. Climate models suggest rainfall in the region could increase by 30% this century. The Yellow River could be an unusual case. Most large dams are built on rivers carrying coarser sediment.

This article is stating that he need to find a different way to control floods so that they dont ruin our communities. Dams provide multiple benefits. They generate relatively clean electricity; they store water and release it in the dry season, which helps farmers and other users, and they can hold back floods. They are also downfalls. Dams are get rid of people when they are built and preventing fish migration and causing other ecological harm.

3 thoughts on “Dams Are Supposed to Prevent Floods. Some May Make Them Worse

1. I agree with this article, as it mentioned how they were struggling to maintain flooding and believe they need to get a new system to prevent floods. I do have one question, and it is if you could make a change to prevent flooding, what would you do?

2. I wonder what kinds of long term effects these dams that are ineffectively preventing flooding are causing. What do you think a possible alternative could be to these dams?

3. I agree with the message of the article, but my question is what is an alternative option to dams. How can we get the amount of electricity that dams produce while decreasing the severity of floods?