Air Pollution and Disease #5

“Ambient (Outdoor) Air Pollution.” World Health Organization, World Health Organization, https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ambient-(outdoor)-air-quality-and-health. 

This article talks about the effects from air pollution and genuinely considers air pollution to be one of the main causes of health issues. It also talks about how air pollution does not discriminate and affects everyone regarding where you live or how you live. It talks about how we should create levels of contaminants that can be produced on top of it, talking about the most harmful gasses to our atmosphere as well as to ourselves. It states that around 23% of health issues end up being caused by greenhouse gasses or pollutants and how some of the diseases end up being so deadly they lead to cancer. The article concludes, with mentioning how it is progressively getting worse and without change we will be in a position where we can no longer reverse the damage we have done. 

A lot of these articles talk about the same thing and how heart disease is the most common disease from pollution and or dirty air, but I feel like this article just really specified how much is caused by greenhouse gasses. This article used specific percentages which I have not seen in many of the articles which also helped broaden my perspective. It was very interesting to learn about the damage but also ultimately saddening as this is truly because of us. After reading this it showed me to just really try and benefit people as well as try and benefit myself and remove the unnecessary usage of energy and pollution increasing things I use everyday. 

6 thoughts on “Air Pollution and Disease #5

1. I find it very surprising that 23% of health issues end up being caused by greenhouse gases or pollutants. Regardless of how eco-friendly you might be, this will definitely affect you. I think this information should be brought to the public more, it might increase the urgency for action since this issue affects pretty much everyone.

• Thank you for sharing your opinions, I completely agree, we need to educate more people on this as it affects us more than you will ever know.

2. This article serves very well as a representation of an underrepresented side effect of climate change. The statistic provided is extremely eye-opening. What pollutants specifically are most harmful for humans?

3. Very interesting article! Air pollution seems to be a re-occurring cause of heart disease and adds to the list of direct harm that greenhouse gas emissions continue to cause. Are their any other harms of air pollution to humans?

• Thank you for reading! I have not found many other ones other than like sewage contamination but that is not really related to the air pollution factor.