What will be the future for Electronic-Waste?

UCI study finds 53 percent jump in e-waste greenhouse gas emissions between 2014, 2020. UCI News. (2022, November 1). Retrieved January 25, 2023, from https://news.uci.edu/2022/10/26/uci-study-finds-53-percent-jump-in-e-waste-greenhouse-gas-emissions-between-2014-2020/  

As we continue to use electronics more each time, the greenhouse gas emissions that come from electronic waste have also increased. According to researchers from the University of California, ever since 2014 to 2020, emissions have increased by fifty three percent. It was said that approximately by the year of 2030 that 852 million metric tons of carbon dioxide will be emitted annually from just electronic waste. Theoretically this would occur without any regulations, showing what will happen if nothing is done about electronic waste. Reducing the electronic waste will not only help reduce climate change but also reduce child labor that operates in mines and avoid risking employees in waste management.  

Based on the research that the University of California conducted, electronic waste causes many issues apart from pollution. E-waste has contributed to the huge amounts of carbon dioxide that continues to be emitted in the atmosphere. This issue could be prevented by finding better ways to dispose of these waste. Minor factors that contribute to climate change which is a global issue that would be avoided. But E-waste does not only affect the environment but also many people. Due to all the E-waste that releases extremely dangerous toxins it puts people at risk who manage that waste. I think it’s important to consider this issue because often, many problems like this always lead to more. Implementing more regulations will help keep accountability for finding sustainable solutions to manage this waste.

6 thoughts on “What will be the future for Electronic-Waste?

1. This is an interesting article to me, Michelle. I always think about the toxins associated with e-waste… and how hard it is to deal with the waste. But I never really considered the GHG aspect. What kind of regulations could you imagine as a solution? This is a classic external cost situation. Do we really need to replace the whole gadget as tech increases… could we just replace a chip? Somehow producers of the product need to be held more accountable. Thanks for all your work on this topic. This is a well written post for sure.

• Hi Mr. Powell! I believe that some regulations that to enforce that everything is being disposed of correctly is adding regulations for the industries that produce the electronics. Such as enforcing more awareness to their targets especially before purchasing one. I feel like this is recurring so much because people aren’t alarmed on how crucial it is to dispose their electronics correctly. We as individuals can make a difference to this issue if we take on the role of being informed and more responsible when handling our waste. Thank you for the comment!

2. It is interesting to find that e-waste is some of the main factors leading to climate chang and air pollution. The number that was found in the study is terrifying and I agree with you that regulations should be put in place. What are some regulation that could be put in place to help combat this?

• Hello! Thank you for commenting. To answer your question, I believe that some regulations that could help is reaching the source of the problem. For instance, emplacing more regulations to control those how are producing the electronics. Also when an individual makes a purchase explaining what they should do to dispose of it could help for those who aren’t aware.

3. I like what you’ve pointed out about waste management. I also found it interesting the articles mention of child labor. This topic doesn’t directly fall in line with climate change, but it seems like an important issue that is dealt with alongside reducing electronic waste. How much do you think we should focus on the other issue of child labor as it contributes to electronic waste?

• Thank you for the insight! To answer your question, I believe that all the aspects that surround this issue are equally as important and should receive a lot of attention. Everything leads to more which is why it’s important for people to know that their contribution to this waste puts people at risk.