E.P.A. Halts Coal Ash Deposits

Lydersen, Kari. “Coal Ash Crackdown Continues as EPA Denies Extensions for Six Power Plants.” Energy News Network, 26 Jan. 2023, https://energynews.us/2023/01/25/coal-ash-crackdown-continues-as-epa-denies-extensions-for-six-coal-plants/. 

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) denied an extension for six power plants to continue their coal ash deposits. Through a 2015 ruling, companies were to stop their coal ash deposits in unlined or poorly lined pits because of the water contamination that is of consequence. They were to stop the deposits by April of 2021, however, many companies have continued their practices due to a lack of enforcement. However, in January of 2023, the EPA denied six plants an extension to ash deposits so they are required to find other places to deposit the ash. The EPA has been carefully considering applications and testing waters and liners to make sure they are up to par. There is mass pushback from these companies who argue they do not have enough time to relocate their ash, however, the EPA is sticking to its initial ruling. 

I’m glad that the EPA is enforcing its regulations even when many large businesses are trying to avoid them. Ash deposits from these power plants are contaminating water and harming people and wildlife at an external cost. Considering that it has been eight years since this law has been put into effect, I do not feel remorse for the businesses that believed that they were above the law. I hope that the EPA continues to enforce its rules and does that job of protecting the environment. 

6 thoughts on “E.P.A. Halts Coal Ash Deposits

1. I’m with you, Tiffany. The EPA should hold its position, especially considering this ruling is from 2015. Not sure if you were paying attention but the EPA during the Trump years was a joke… so no surprise there was no enforcement. FYI- the concrete in the Jasper Ridge education building that we met at has fly ash from coal mixed into it. For these power plants, what do you think they could do with the fly ash. You are right to identify this as an external cost. Thanks for doing the footwork to follow your topic. This was another excellent post. Hope you found the research part interesting.

2. I agree with you. I think it is important that we know the severity of the air pollution issues but also think it is important to learn about the changes that are occurring in order to fix these problems. I hope that we are able to learn more about the EPA advancements that are occurring.

3. I agree with your opinion. However, what do you think the effects are on the companies that are not being allowed to deposit their ashes in the place they want to? Additionally, I am very happy that people are now putting down stricter rules and following through with their plans in order to help save the environment. I wonder why they weren’t harsher at the beginning when EPA said they would enforce more regulations. In all, I believe that we should seriously be more “harsh” and truly enforce rules that will help reduce air pollution. I thought you did a really good job on your post.

• Thanks for your comment! To address your first question, I believe that there should be dedicated spaces where coal ash can be deposited safely, unlike the many businesses who dump it where ever they want. As for your second question, I think that the E.P. A. hasn’t been as strict because less environmentally conscious leaders did not implement their policies within the past few years. Additionally, cracking down on these businesses could serve as a pull factors, incentivizing businesses to move to places with less regulation.

4. I concur with your statements about the businesses, the EPA must keep their applications strict. Hopefully, corruption does not get to the EPA and they stick to the rulings. Although do you see a way to appease the companies while not harming the air?

• Thank you for your comment. I think the E.P. A. should assign designated — and safe — coal ash dumping spots with incentive such as transportation subsidies so businesses are inclined to follow the regulations put in place.