EPA Blocks Power Plants from Dumping Toxic Coal Ash into Unlined Ponds

Nilsen, E. (2023, January 23). EPA plans to stop 6 power plants from dumping toxic coal ash into unlined ponds. CNN. Retrieved January 28, 2023, from https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/25/us/epa-coal-ash-power-plants-climate/index.html 

In line with its promise to go back to Obama-era regulations, the EPA announced that it would deny six coal power plants from dumping their ash into ponds without lining (a geomembrane meant to stop water from seeping into surrounding soil). Coal ash is a byproduct of coal electricity and contains pollutants like arsenic, cadmium, and mercury. When they are put in unlined pounds, they can poison drinking water. The EPA found that another coal plant in Arizona had flawed ash liners and groundwater monitoring.  

My article relates to environmental science because it shows how humans can pollute their surrounding environment for purposes of industry and put neighboring communities at risk of ingesting pollutants. I was shocked to know that there are 500 unlined coal-ash ponds in the U.S. This demonstrates a common dilemma which is when to prioritize economic gain over human health and impacts. Generating electricity is resource-consuming and frequently results in hazardous byproducts that managers ought to dispose of carefully. That is why I think it is good the EPA is returning to old regulations that the Trump-era agency did not take as seriously. It is unfair to put unknowing families at risk of poisoning and other health effects, simply because they chose to live in a certain location. Also oftentimes, poorer families have no choice but to live near power plants.

2 thoughts on “EPA Blocks Power Plants from Dumping Toxic Coal Ash into Unlined Ponds

1. It’s exciting to hear that we are finally regulating waste from dirty energy like coal, and hopefully, this will protect our drinking water and other resources. My question is how do we impose similar action to other coal production power plants within our country? It’s critical that we regulate all, not only some.

• Your question brings up a question we’re constantly grappling with. I think that if the EPA can be more watchful of companies overall, we can be confident in wide-scale change. When we ditch Obama-era EPA regulations, we let environmental catastrophe ensue.