New York Times. (Nov 4, 2022). Get Away, but Make It Sustainable. Retrieved November 4, 2022, from https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/realestate/sustainable-getaways-second-homes.html?searchResultPosition=1

This article discusses sustainable vacations and just sustainable living in general. The article mainly talks about how many people travel, and many places where people travel to are trying to make it more sustainable for the earth(hotels, communities, etc.)Many developers of businesses are “planning and building both individual homes and communities.” Additionally, the article states that developers are trying to “shape and improve local communities rather than simply develop the land and hire the local population for a workforce.” Continually, the article gives three specific places where sustainability practices are in the full cycle. The three places are Costa Elena, La Cruz, Costa Rica, Club Ki’ama, the Bahamas, and Oil Nut Bay, British Virgin Islands, where they are going out of there and specifically focusing on sustainable homes and vacation spots.

This article made me very happy that places are trying to make things more sustainable. They are going out of their way and focusing primarily on sustainability. Doing this proves to people that luxury and sustainability can be done. I think this will make other places start incorporating more sustainable practices and change how people run their businesses. Additionally, I believe people will start choosing sustainability over luxuries because climate change is becoming more and more prevalent, and we need to stop ignoring it. Lastly, some of the sustainable practices that the places in the article stated are very interesting; for example, at the Oil Nut Bay, British Virgin Islands, “The development’s mandate calls for 50 percent of the land to remain as open space with nature trails and land preserves,” This makes me so happy and makes me believe that many people have changed their mindset of only running a money business to also helping the earth while running a business because that’s what’s going to matter in the long run.

2 thoughts on “New York Times. (Nov 4, 2022). Get Away, but Make It Sustainable. Retrieved November 4, 2022, from https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/realestate/sustainable-getaways-second-homes.html?searchResultPosition=1

1. Researching sustainable vacations is a great idea, and like you said I think more and more people will start factoring in sustainability when choosing a location to vacation in. Do you think Hawaii will start trying to be more sustainable in order to keep tourists coming?

2. Thank you for reading. Yes, I think Hawaii will for sure start to be more sustainable because a lot of people visit due to Hawaii’s nature and environment.