Environmental Protection (Adopt- a- topic: coral reefs)

• Caribbean Coral Reef Partnership The Caribbean Coral Reef Partnership (CCRP) is an interagency effort to protect coral reefs off the shores of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI).Coral Reef Evaluation and Monitoring Project (CREMP) The Coral Reef Evaluation and Monitoring Project (CREMP)was established in 1995 as part of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary’s Water Quality Protection Program (WQPP).The Coral Reef Working Group is comprised of state and federal agencies involved in coral reef management and strives to identify and address key threats to coral reefs.West Maui Ridge to Reef Initiative The State of Hawaii’s Coral Reef Strategy identified the coral reef ecosystem along the West Maui region as a priority management area.Clean Water Act Funding EPA awards annual Clean Water Act Section 319 funding to address nonpoint source water pollution to Hawai‘i Department of Health for projects to protect watersheds and coral reef health.  

• There have been many attempts to protect coral reefs; they are still being affected by climate change. Even though the ocean temperature has only risen 1.3 degrees it is dramatically affecting the coral reefs. Pollution is also affecting reefs making the corals weaker. 

2 thoughts on “Environmental Protection (Adopt- a- topic: coral reefs)

1. I’m really glad these agencies are working hard to restore coral reefs, but I also think it’s crucial to address the problem at the source: reducing carbon emissions. I wonder how drastically our coral reefs would change if we were to stop climate change?

2. I believe that coral reefs are one of some of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems that the earth has to share. I’m glad to see that there are many agencies/organizations that are working on protecting and restoring coral reefs. If there ever comes a day when there are no more reefs, do you know how that would impact marine life?