Algae wreaks havoc on summer plans. The Sun Gazzette.

Langton, M. (2022, July 25). Algae wreaks havoc on summer plans. The Sun Gazzette. Retrieved August 11, 2022, from https://thesungazette.com/article/news/2022/07/25/algae-wreaks-havoc-on-summer-plans/

The focus of this article is on Tulare county and the Three Rivers area. Toxic algae blooms are growing to be more of a problem in this area. The drought this year is causing a more major outbreak. The Three Rivers Community Service District is alerting people in the area with signs located near the toxic algae blooms. They are doing this because the impact of going into the infected water can lead to serious health issues for humans and animals. 

This is connected to environmental science because the drought is a major part of the worsening conditions of many bodies of water, as discussed in this article. Drought can affect the environment in many ways making our earth more unhealthy. I think that considering the severe symptoms (ex. death) stronger actions should be taken. Though there is nothing much we can do to reverse this issue, there are preventative measures that can be taken. For example in the article it states that “the state is coming in and working on testing.” I wonder how these tests are run and what determines algae to be toxic. 

2 thoughts on “Algae wreaks havoc on summer plans. The Sun Gazzette.

1. I agree that we should take algal blooms more seriously, especially since they are threatening our safety. What are some of the preventative measures that can be taken?

2. Wow! That is crazy that the toxic algae can result in death! I agree completely with your statement about how the government should be taking this more seriously. How does this even happen? Specifically how does toxic algae form and why is it forming in such a place?