“In the Pacific, Outcry Over Japan’s Plan to Release Fukushima Wastewater.”

McKenzie, P. (2022, December 31). In the Pacific, Outcry Over Japan’s Plan to Release Fukushima Wastewater. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/30/world/asia/japan-fukushima-wastewater-pacific-radiation.html?smid=url-share

A debate has sprung over the release of nuclear wastewater from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan. Ever since 2011 after its meltdown, Japan has been flushing water through its reactors to cool them down. All of the used water has to be isolated or treated as its highly radioactive. Japan has been storing the 1.3 million tons of wastewater in containers. However, recently they have intended to treat and release the water into the ocean. Pacific Islanders are weary of this decision due to their past with nuclear contamination. US nuclear testing in the 50s caused many forced relocations as people had intense radiation exposure in the Marshall Islands. Only a hydrogen isotope called tritium will remain in the water after treatment, which is considered a low health risk. However, the lack of transparency from Japanese officials still leaves a cause for concern.

I think the concern of Pacific islanders is completely understandable as dumping contaminated water into their nearby oceans doesn’t sound good on paper. However, I do not see an issue with releasing the wastewater if it’s scientifically proven to be safe. As storing so much water must be a heavy financial burden on the Japanese government. I hope that the diplomatic bond between the Pacific and Japan strengthens as they come to a compromise. This is a unique issue that cannot be avoided. Its especially to examine the environmental aspect of releasing this wastewater. As it affects humans as much as it affects the local ecosystem.

3 thoughts on ““In the Pacific, Outcry Over Japan’s Plan to Release Fukushima Wastewater.”

1. I agree that the Pacific islanders have merit in their grievances with the Japanese government. The Japanese government must be more transparent with the plan of dumping the treated water back into the ocean if it wishes to reach a compromise with the pacific islanders. The water must also go through intensive testing to ensure that it will not cause people or the environment problems after being released. Should the government continue to store it or should the Pacific islanders allow japan to dump the water.

2. I strongly agree with the fact that the pacific islanders have the right to feel upset about the dumping. Despite any scientific proofs, I think that their concerns should not only be considered, but acted upon by the Japanese government. This seems to come down to a matter of the Japenese government abusing their power over a much smaller and less powerful group.

3. I agree with your idea that a compromise is necessary in this situation. Both sides are each somewhat warranted in what they are doing/not approving of, and not one side can rightfully “win” in this situation? What is a possible compromise that you can think of that could be made between the Japanese government and Pacific Islanders.