Cleaning up the world’s dirtiest waterways

Washington Examiner. (2023, August 9). Here’s how a former NASA engineer hopes to clean up the world’s dirtiest waterways. Retrieved August 27, 2023 from https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/former-nasa-engineer-clean-up-worlds-dirtiest-waterways

After helping remove hazardous pollutants from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, a former NASA engineer, Albino,  uses those same techniques to restore contaminated groundwater sites. His technique involves what is called a spear, an eco-friendly solvent that is placed in the water to extract and destroy chemicals. They usually stay in the water for up to 12 months and do not harm the area because they are eco-friendly. While he has deployed these spears in many parts of the world, including Europe, the US, and the pacific, recently he has focused on the Anacostia River in Washington D.C. 

Based on Albino’s confidence in his ability to restore the Anacostia river, I strongly believe that his spears will be successful, as they have been many times before. His work is very important since clean, toxin-free rivers can be used as water sources for humans and animals. I think his strategy is very smart because the spears are made up of eco-friendly material so they can stay in the rivers for a long period of time without harming the local environment. This relates to environmental science because it involves both the clean up and the restoration of rivers around the world. 

2 thoughts on “Cleaning up the world’s dirtiest waterways

1. Wow, what an spectacular solution to pollutant spills. Although its simple, its effective and eco-friendly. I think all the innovations and solutions related to environmental science that are coming out recently are just amazing. I’m excited to see where this technology takes us with environmental cleanup. However, in general, I wonder how far innovation can get us. Would you describe yourself as a cornucopian, who believes that human development will allow us to overcome environmental constraints?

2. Hi! Thank you for reading my work. To answer your question, yes I do consider myself a cornucopian because we dug ourselves into this whole so we must be able to get ourselves out of it.