Environmental Impact of Meat Production

Okafor, J. (2023, May 6). Environmental Impact of Meat Production. Trvst. Retrieved August 8, 2023, from https://www.trvst.world/environment/environmental-impact-of-meat-production/

The environmental impacts of meat production are many, and include: its strain on resources, greenhouse gas emissions, and impact on wildlife habitats. The article explores the history of meat production and consumption, types of meat and their different impacts, and environmental consequences. Meat production’s main impacts regarding climate change involve water pollution, deforestation, and air pollution. Additionally, there are many health risks involved with excess meat consumption. The article suggests cultured meat as a solution although the environmental impacts of that compared to conventional meat production is unresolved. Ultimately, the need to be mindful of one’s dietary choices and to observe and support sustainable farming practices is emphasized.

I was not very surprised by the article and its content. The history of meat consumption helped to give me a better understanding of the meat industry as a whole, and it gave a good overall summary of the consequences of meat production and the meat industry overall. Through the broad scope of the article it helps the reader to understand meat production and what it entails. I agree with the points of the article that dietary choices are important to consider and a big factor in the meat industry. If people are more mindful of how much meat they buy and what that meat means for the environment, then the harmful environmental impacts of  meat production and consumption can be reduced. Similarly, choices to buy meat coming from sustainable farming practices can help reduce the harmful environmental impacts due to the meat industry.

2 thoughts on “Environmental Impact of Meat Production

1. I agree with your opinion of the article. It lines up with what Mr. Powell was saying in class today as well, where it takes 10 calories of fossil fuels to generate 1 calorie of food (which is largely due to how much energy we put into raising cattle). Do you think its possible that countries worldwide begin eating more vegetables than meat? What are some methods you think we can use to encourage more and more people to adopt a greener diet?

• I think that while it is possible that countries begin to eat more meat as society begins to prioritize the environment I doubt it will actually happen. In poor countries, it is much cheaper to buy a mcchicken for a dollar than to buy vegetables grown in environmentally friendly ways. I think if the government were to subsidize costs for farmers growing in environmentally friendly ways then more people may adopt a greener diet as it would be cheaper.