Device makes hydrogen from sunlight with record efficiency: New standard for green hydrogen technology set by Rice U. engineers

Device makes hydrogen from sunlight with record efficiency: New standard for green hydrogen technology set by Rice U. engineers. (2023, July 20). ScienceDaily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/07/230720124624.htm

Aditya Mohite, a chemical and biomolecular engineer, created a device that turns sunlight into hydrogen. The device uses an anticorrosion barrier to insulate the semiconductor from water while not impeding the transfer of electrons. It is known as a photoelectrochemical cell due to its ability to absorb light, convert it into electricity, and use electricity to power a chemical reaction that occurs together. The device is known for its high efficiency as it achieved a 20.8% solar-to-hydrogen conversion efficiency in a study in Nature Communications. 

This device includes two layers to the barrier, one of which blocks the water, and the other to make electrical contact between the perovskite layers and the protective layer. The results of this device are extraordinary; without solar concentration, it has the highest efficiency for photoelectrochemical cells and overall the best for halide perovskite semiconductors. With more time and more technology, they’d be able to make further improvements that could change the future of solar fuel as humans would be able to convert fossil fuels to solar fuels. I think this issue is a little complicated to understand, but I think it would make such a large difference to our world and overall create an impact on how we handle climate change. More people should definitely take the time to understand this device and how it works as a benefit. 

2 thoughts on “Device makes hydrogen from sunlight with record efficiency: New standard for green hydrogen technology set by Rice U. engineers

1. I agree with you that this is a step forward to sustainable energy. If they could possibly shrink down the technology so that it can be used in people’s homes to power hydrogen powered cars, that would be revolutionary.

• Hi Wifow! I definitely think that shrinking the technology for homes would be a great invention, and it wouldn’t surprise me if someone is already on that idea.